Newest comments

• Posted by Brian Neale

I'm still getting the odd standing order arriving, so I'm bringing this to members' attention again.

• Posted by Brian Neale

Usual guideline (bit like foresail sheets, etc) is to use whatever you think you can comfortably grip, as even a relatively small diameter is strong enough. Size is usually dictated by comfortable handling. From memory, I think my "28" halyards (all the same) are 12mm three-strand hemp-look...

• Posted by Brian Neale

My 28 has both - the yard installed wiring down the mast as per Aeolus (not surprising as they were built side-by-side!) but I have added extra bits that needed additional wires that weren't going to be easy to add to the mast channel, including sidelights attached to the shrouds. I have a deck-...

• Posted by Aeolus FWB28

The wires go down the inside of the mast on my 28. The masts were made slightly hollow. The very last ones were hollow spars from Noble masts.

• Posted by Aeolus FWB28

Contact Sam Heard, he makes them.

07977 239 341

• Posted by Jonnie G (not verified)

Peter,

I am interested in buying an 18ft Tosher and need a bit more info on the spec.  Do you know what your boat weighs and also how much ballast has she got?  Do you intend to trail your boat and if so what vehicle do you intend to use as a towing vehicle?

I look...

• Posted by Graham Benson

Hi I got mine made by skb they had the messurements on file. There is a good artical int artical section of this site about the top sail.  I use a cut down dinghy mast.

...

• Posted by Jonnie G (not verified)

Hi Steve,

I would be interested to know how you get on towing Chough.  What sort of vehicle do you use as the tow car?  Have you encountered any particular launch, recovering or towing problems?

Grateful for your comments

Regards

John

• Posted by Jonnie G (not verified)

I am currently toying with the idea of purchasing a Tosher 18 for day cruising.  I have a towing capacity of 1300 kgs with my present car and am wondering whether this will be sufficient to tow a Tosher 18.  Has anyone any comments please?

• Posted by Malcolm (not verified)

Hi Steve,

I would like to congratulate you (allbeit belatedley) on this article; the festival seems to be a bit of a secret here in the UK. The French organise it in a most honest and practical fashion and we enjoy it out of all the festivals. It is a real sailors paradise with over...

• Posted by Malcolm (not verified)

Many thanks, Steve,
    The truth is I have too many boats at the moment! A 1920's clinker built gaff yawl "Plugger" restored in 2007 fitted with a 5HP Stuart Turner (descibed as a 'Gentleman's Dayboat'), a Conrad Natzio Oystercatcher 16 (under repair), and a Den Aston Longboat (to be...

• Posted by Aeolus FWB28

SKB sails may well have the dimensions since they have made many of the sails for the Heard boats.

tel 01326 372107

• Posted by Aeolus FWB28

Malcolm, that was a great article thanks for posting.

What boat are you sailing now?

Regards, Steve

• Posted by Graham Benson

Enjoyed the program.  My boat was just out of shot when they were in Tarbet.

I spent time looking for set up and sailing hints. Suprised to see the jib sheet going between the stays. Loads of chafe I would have tought.

• Posted by Falmouthboy (not verified)

Thought I'd just post a note on the forum to mention that the other half has set up a blog to record the work we're doing on Charm this winter; having bored her facebook friends last winter she's giving them a rest this year!

If you're interested in following what we're up to have a look...

• Posted by Aeolus FWB28

Saskia used to belong to a friend of mine. She is a very nice boat. I always thought that she was a little under ballasted as she seems to have more freeboard than my boat. But she does sail well.There is plenty of standing headroom.

...

• Posted by Henrik Nor-Hansen

In my last post I put my height at 162 cm, but I'm actually 182 cm, which makes it a bit more difficult. I would have opted for 162 though, because I strongly believe that too much superstructure, or trunk, destroys the design of the boat. I'm willing to sacrifice some standing headroom in order...

• Posted by Henrik Nor-Hansen

The thing about Saskia is these solid beams in the cabin roof. It looks nice, but wouldn't they come in the way for a standing headrooom? I'm 162 cm.

I'm also curious about what the 28s cost new. Do you know?

Henrik

• Posted by Graham Benson

Saskia is up for sale

I have been on her and she is...

• Posted by Aeolus FWB28

I followed the building of my boat from start to finish. I didn't get a tape measure out. The hull is massively built.

• Posted by Henrik Nor-Hansen

Thanks a lot Steve!

I'm also wondering if you or anybody else of the 28-owners have measured the thickness of the hull when working with the thru-hulls.

Cheers,

Henrik

• Posted by Aeolus FWB28

PM sent re the boat you are considering.

• Posted by Henrik Nor-Hansen

Yes, Steve, the boat looks good indeed. But looks can decieve, so I guess there's no other way than a thorough tapping of the areas in question. You right about the plugs. It doesn't look like it's screwed on by the pictures.

Henrik

• Posted by Aeolus FWB28

Have just spoken to Sam. He imagines that the deck was not put on by them. So he cannot help with your question.

As I suggested earlier there should be evidence of screws in the deck if it was screwed on. They will have plugs over them. Should be obvious.

Steve

• Posted by Aeolus FWB28

That boat looks great in the photos, same colour as mine :-)

Just tried to ring Sam but he is difficult to get hold of.

Contact details here

http://www.gaffersandluggers.co.uk/   But email may not be answered.